Ever wondered why we praise? I’m here to give you the answer! I have been diving into a book titled, “Exploring Worship” by Bob Sorge. Amazing book. Granted, the title and look of the book is because it was penned in the 1980’s – after lots of research everyone agreed this book is the best ever written to describe the point of worship. (It even has a study guide for it if you are a nerd like me when it comes to studying! lol) I have a feeling you will be seeing more blogs from this reading to come. I am only in the first chapter and every page is filled with so much GOOD information I almost feel overloaded! What a good problem!
Chapter 1: What is Praise?
The definition given is: “to commend, to applaud, to express approval or admiration of, to extol in words or in song, to magnify, glorify.” Think of the things said to children or pets when they have done something right… you are praising them. Maybe you are a manager praising your employee for a job well done. Just to help give you some examples.
They break praise down into two different types: DIRECT and INDIRECT. Direct praise is speaking right to God. “God, you are amazing!”. Indirect praise is speaking about God to someone else. “Susan, God is amazing.”
6 Reasons Why We Praise God: (and supporting scripture given)
- We are commanded to do so. “Praise ye the Lord” – Psalm 150:1
- God is enthroned in our praise. “Yet you are enthroned as the Holy one, you are the one Israel praises.” -Psalm 22:3 (see also Isaiah 60:18 and Psalm 87:2)
- There is power in praise. (see Ephesians 6:10-18)
- It is a good thing to praise the Lord. “It is a good thing to praise the Lord, and make music to your name, O most High.” -Psalm 92:1 (see also Psalm 135:3)
- He is worthy of our praise. “Great is the Lord, and most worthy of our praise.” -Psalm 48:1 (see also Revelation 4:11)
- We are created to praise Him. “‘For a belt is bound around the waist, so I bound all the people of Israel and all the people of Judah to me,’ declares the Lord, ‘to be my people for my renown and praise and honor…’ ” -Jeremiah 13:11 (see also 1 Peter 2:9 and Isaiah 43:21)
These reasons ultimately are just “extra” to me as far as why we should praise. God created us… isn’t that enough of a reason?